Wednesday 3 March 2010

Exclusivity

A few posts ago I wrote about the risks of a cartoon appearing in more than one publication at the same time. This almost happened again the other day.

Some mags still take cartoons on paper rather than by email, and I guess things can get stuck in filing cabinets. The cartoon in question was sent off as part of a batch to one of the UK mags (I shall keep them anonymous). Months passed and I heard nothing back from them- I like to know yes or no so I can send them on to the other mags- Eventually I heard 'no thanks'.
I'm used to rejection now, so I only lay sobbing in the dark for a mere 20 minutes or so. But, at least I knew they were free agents once more, so I sent them around to the other mags and eventually this one was chosen, and printed in the Spectator.

Last Friday I got home from work (a successful day of turning computers off and on) to find the original mag had finally returned the 'lost' gags and chosen the same one the Speccie took. Aggh!! The shame- people will think I’m trying to fob off second hand gags as new. What could happen is that both mags could complain they didn't have exclusivity and demand payment back- I can't afford that- I’d already spent it on a new pair of socks.

There wasn't any drama in the end- The first mag managed to pull the cartoon just hours before the presses rolled.
Note to magazine editors- c'mon guys, I have more than enough cartoons to share around- OK, so they might not be very good, but at least no one else wants them- they'll be exclusive to your publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment